Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pardon My Norman Invasion

The “f” word is a holdover from Old English that became popular after the Norman Invasion. Say the “f” word aloud, if you can. If you’re at work, read this post later. Pay attention to the way the word leaves your mouth and causes air to move quickly as if you were releasing something. If you say the word with enough emphasis you can notice your chest rise and fall. Your head will also move forward slightly as if you were spitting out sour milk. Perhaps the word’s release factor is why it is the first word that comes to mind when you stub your toe. Pain enters your body via toe and exits via mouth; therefore, there is nothing wrong with using the word.
For those of us who do not swear, there are safe alternatives. The –uck ending is what causes the release. The word yuck, for example, offers our bodies the same release without the vulgar annoyance. When you get back your taxes and only make twenty dollars on your return, try repeating this poem, and feel better.
Chickens cluck and corn is shucked,
I once had a duck his name was chuck,
My poker hand’s muck, I’m out of luck
I feel so much better if I said the word…

No comments: