Sunday, March 16, 2008

Show me the Money

I quit my part-time job so I could have more time to do things. Yes I chose time over money. This is no small thing when you consider the higher prices of food, clothing, gas and other sundries we need to survive or live comfortably.

I came to the realization that I would have to place my academic endeavors on a higher priority. I don’t want to “just pass”, I want to pass with A’s and B’s. I want to also absorb the information I’m learning in a meaningful manner. In order to do all the readings, the research, the writing for this and my other classes I had to bite the bullet and make more of my time available. I couldn’t quit the real money maker. That’s the job that keeps me living indoors with running water, plus provides fairly decent benefits. So the 16 to 20 hour per week no benefits retail gig had to go. Not an easy decision, but one I will learn to live with.

It’s funny; I’ve worked just about every Sunday for the past 11 years. Sleeping past 7am for the last two has proved to be a pleasure I’ve long been missing. I actually looked forward to a day devoted to reading the last scenes of Prometheus Unbound and the first part of Frankenstein. It is thought inspiring to sit and type a few blog postings and comments while listening to raucous birdsong outside and the muted sounds of the Drums of India cd playing in my bedroom. My day’s not half done and I’ve been very productive.

Money may make our lives easier, but time is an immeasurable commodity. I’m putting my new free time to good use now so that I’ll be able to make more money in the future. I hope I continue to feel this way three months from now when my savings have dwindled. I may have to apply at one of the new stores popping up along Colonial Boulevard this Christmas season if I don’t. But right in this moment I feel good about my choice.

3 comments:

Marguerita said...

Lately I have been thinking about getting a second job becuase the price of everything is increasing. Curently I have the weekends off and the holidays. I enjoy having this time to spend with my family, friends, and to just do nothing in general.

I am dreading getting a second job, but I feel it is best in order to accomplish some future goals. The only thing that will not happen is workng on Sundays. I refuse to work on Sundays because that is the Lord's day and the only ay I really get to sleep in.

So Lisa, I'm happy for you and enjoy the time you have because if you didn't make that decision, you would have regretted for a while.

Anna said...

Awesome! I did the same thing. When I started school I didn't go to work anymore. Time is priceless. I admire your courage. By the way, Frankenstein is great. Nothing comparable with Polidori, it is easier to read, to follow, and to enjoy.

Why a sense of loss?, you asked. Because I had a sense that the couple was acting the last scene of its life. When it left, it was dragging its feet with stoic acceptance.

Michelle F said...

You made a great choice. I have two jobs and an internship. None of which will lead me to where I want to be when I graduate. What a bummer.

Anyways, you're right. When it comes down to picking time over money, why not pick time? It's more important in the long run because if you don't have time then what do you have? You might have money but no time to spend it!