Friday, March 21, 2008

Maybe I Need the Word Limit

Since the lifting of the word limit I have felt way less stressed about blogging. Prior to the removal, I dreaded posting. Not because I didn’t have anything to say, but because I had too much to say. Well, at least, that’s what I thought. I’ve come to realize that when I write 400 words, that approximately 120 of them are basically pointless. They’re simply superfluous little tidbits that make my writing sound better, or more intelligent (please, let me be in denial). It is increasingly hard for me to go through my work and chop out adverbs that make my words flow like poetry. I’m unsure about the rest of the class, but striking through eloquent bits of prose pains me and I don’t want to do it! Isn’t there some sort of happy medium, some sort of balance in which I can exist between wordiness and brevity? I know concision doesn’t necessarily mean short…but ugh…I feel plagued.

No comments: