Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Too much does not work in this case

Several days after entering this class and being introduced to what blogging is, I had a conversation with another student about how much information should be disclosed to the reader of her blog. I put that conversation aside until I started reading Blood’s Chapter 7 titled Living Online where she discussed maintaining your privacy and others. I began to ask myself, how much is too much to disclose to your readers?

In the conversation, the student expressed how she doesn’t like talking about her life to people she doesn’t know. She does not want to disclose information about her life that could lead to an unsafe lifestyle. I know for this class, many participates will not disclose personal information such as an address or anything along those lines, but they may find themselves giving out small pieces of information without realizing it. This may include where you like to hang out on a regular basis or where you work.

Sometimes I have to catch myself and erase half of my entry due to the fact I disclosed too much about myself or the people I come in contact with. I want my readers to get to know them like I do, but I have come to realize it is too much information. So the next time you decide to publish a post, look through it and make sure you have not disclosed too much information for your sakes and the people you’re referencing on your blog.

3 comments:

Babz said...

I never really thought about that aspect of blogging. I am glad you brought it up. I will be sure to check all my work before I post. Thank You!

Michelle F said...

I agree that's scary. Blogging could be the next Myspace when it comes to predators.

Morgan said...

It is a dangerous world, and i think Blood makes it pretty clear that the safest way to keep your Blogger’s life and your life separate and far apart. While I’ve never directly said "I love hanging out here!" I guess it wouldn’t be to hard for a discerning reader to pick up on my personal life through a close read. In all actuality it would be difficult to keep both "lives" completely separate. Especially for me. My blog is so closely intertwined with my personal life.

Then of course you have those people who tell all on their blogs. Even going so far as posting pictures! I guess it’s really all personal and how much you’re willing to risk over it. If you even think it a risk in the first place.