Wednesday, February 6, 2008

There's No "Bitch" In Biscuit!

The other day a classmate and I took the 25 minute journey from campus to KFC to feast on some fried goodness. After about five or six minutes of deliberation we ordered and drove up to the next window. Once we drove the 20 yards to the window we realized we forgot to order extra biscuits. Because the biscuits are probably the most delicious part of the meal, my fellow classmate decided that we needed to add more to our order. To our surprise the lady at the window refused to add biscuits to our order. At first we thought she was kidding, but kidding she was not! Just as we were about to pay and drive around one more time to order extra biscuits, she gave in and let us order four more.

The point I'm trying to make isn't that I really like biscuits; but that the smallest, effortless thing was, in this instance, frowned upon. I was not rude to this woman at all. There was no explanation for not wanting to help me. It really makes me think of society as a whole. People are becoming less and less helpful from generation to generation. Smiling at someone is no longer an act of kindness, but a look of mischief, and that in itself makes me kind of sad.

4 comments:

Rachel S said...

I think you've nailed this post. I am always shocked by how rude people are, just simple stuff like holding the door for the person behind you at 7-11, I mean it takes five seconds, and yet somehow this is beyond our/their compassion.

Meagan Mason said...

It is amazing how rude people can be. Being in the food industry has brought this to light for me. People you have never met before can and will find any excuse to prove that they are better than you are, that your waitress job is just a bottom of the rung job. The funny part about having customers like that is that it teaches me how to not act like they do. I have learned to respect others and treat them as my equals.

TNLogan said...

I like to think of it as twofold; the woman was probably not just rude, but incompetent, as well. You probably pissed her off by asking for the extra biscuits because it confused her. You know, there are so many buttons on the register, and she probably was ten minutes overdue for her smoke break. Her job must be so grueling...

eugenia said...

Monica, this is an amazing blog title.

Besides that, I'm pretty sure rudeness is a requirement to work a drive thru window.