Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Slightly OT: Envelope Anxiety

For the past several weeks, I have been trapped in a frantic game of what’s-in-the-mailbox. Every single day I rush to check the mail as soon as I can (sometimes before the mail carrier has even driven away), to search for a certain envelope.

It started last semester. In early November I became a total nutcase, researching grad schools and filing applications. There were GRE scores to submit, transcripts to order (thanks for that ripoff, FGCU), CVs to write, and writing samples to revise, revise, revise.

Once the whole crazy process was finished, I was so relieved. About two solid months of fretting over deadlines and getting letters of recommendation back from my beloved (but busy and distracted) professors was finally over when, the first week of this semester, I put the last envelope in the mail.

I didn’t realize that was the easy part. Maybe a week after the dust settled I started getting antsy. I wanted to know who had received my application, what else I needed to do, and now, when I’m nearing the two-month mark on a few of my earlier apps, whether or not I’ve been accepted.

I can only hope to be distracted until I start hearing things. Thank heavens for Styles and Ways of Blogging. It may help me stay sane.

No comments: