Friday, February 15, 2008

Rave Reviews

Being the theatre aficionado and staunch FGCU theatre department supporter that I am,
I was at the Black Box Wednesday evening for opening night of “The Living Blog.”

What do I have to say about it? Four words:

You need to go.

Yes, you. Look at your calendars, pick out a date, and go. Barry Cavin has really outdone himself on this one.

“The Living Blog” is a marvelous bit of brain candy: startlingly literary in all of its symbols and references to the book of Revelation. Cavin utilizes puppetry and video montage interspersed with live performance to form an unconventional and poignant work that calls attention to immediate political and global issues, satirizes the choices of some of America’s political figures, and lofts a rather hefty question at the audience: Is it possible for us to change the world?

It’s not exactly your ordinary night at the theatre.

Be prepared to think. Be prepared to laugh. Be prepared to be mystified, and, at times, slightly uncomfortable. Be prepared to possibly make plans to see it again: half of it went over my head I’m sure.

And finally, because I’m the curious sort, be prepared to let me, and the class, know what you thought of it.

I eagerly await your opinions!

2 comments:

Todd Bursztyn said...

I'm going Saturday night. Thanks for further piquing my interest!

Christine M said...

After seeing the play last night, I am in complete agreement with you Katie. The performers all did an excellent job (including our very own Taylor) and the peice really is food for thought.

I'm also sure half of it went over my head (though I was proud of myself everytime I did "get" something).