Friday, February 15, 2008

Begging for Tips



I enjoy going to restaurants. I like sitting down for dinner and somebody else taking care what I need. The best part is no clean up. Wouldn’t you agree? So after it’s all said and done, I tip and I tip really well. I feel that when someone is running around and is trying to do whatever they can to make you happy, this is a wonderful service and they deserve a big fat tip.

One thing I don’t understand though is how waiting in line at Subway or Moe’s constitutes for a tip? I really feel as if it is more of a begging effort then a service. I also feel that carry out services are a little bit of the same way and I am tired of looking like a bad guy because I don’t tip a good 20%. I mean what is this world coming to? It seems as if everyone has their hands out wanting more. Well I am sorry, but what about the rest of the world that works and makes the same amount of money. You don’t see a tip box at the DMV or the Bank tellers at Bank of America. I am tired of feeling obligated to tip at places that aren’t making $2.13 and hour.
The whole reason why I go to fast food places is because I don’t have to worry about being waited on or tipping. Wouldn't you agree?

3 comments:

Monica DiDonato said...

I have worked at the same restaurant for about 6 years now, and when I started working there I did takeout. Sometimes it really sucks when you have to bag a $90 order and get nothing out of it, but when people pick up something small or quick I never really expected much. I didn't make the food, I just took the order, put it in a bag, and made sure it stayed hot or cold until it was picked up. It's nice to get a buck or two every now and then, but otherwise its not really a big deal.

Subway, on the other hand, is a joke. The subway where I live is probably the worst in the world. The people are stupid and slow, and somehow even though you are standing right there telling them how to make your sub you still don't get what you want. I once had two of the workers start talking to each other and one unintentionally spit on my sub. They don't ever get a tip from me.

Rachel S said...

Monica, I was actually eating subway when I read your comment- I think I may need to throw up. And I agree, tipping at places where all they do is to add the condiments you want is crazy. As a rule if I have some change left over I chuck that in the bucket, but I never dig back into my wallet for fast-food.

Morgan said...

okay. so work at starbucks. and while i never EXPECT someone to tip, just cuase were not waiting on your every need doesnt mean we arent working our butts off. Granted our biggest tippers are the cute old people that come in every morning and leave a 50% tip. alot of times they only tip cause they know you, and you've built a relationship with them.