Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Post-workshop roundup

Another solid workshop today.

Tiffany has managed to speak with authority and verve to outsiders about tattooing but without playing the aw-shucks card that rings so false so fast (and tattooed dog bellies is definitely my Lesson for the Week). Anthony has a take-no-prisoners style, which – as you all noted – can be alienating at times, but it seems fitting to the blood-sport sensibility of gaming. And his ability to treat popular and more specialized topics helps offset the tendency toward wormholing.

I agree with the general consensus that Todd's writing about poetry manages to bring us as his readers up to his insightful and mostly graceful level (sometimes, I do think the prose gets a little, uhm, viscous). It's no small feat to make poetry accessible and (gasp!) fun for the masses.

Confession: I'm not a sports guy (quelle surprise!), and I was prepared to struggle with Mike's blog. But Mike seems to get what most sports commentators never learned: how to convey what excites him about sports so that the rest of us can understand. I thought his commentary about That Pass was super smart: I don't know a full-court press from a zamboni but yeah ... I get what makes this pass good. And finally, Kim gives us the view from other side of the well. Kim's blog makes the ins and outs of bartending accessible and doesn't take itself so seriously that we feel like it's a work to read about her job.

Roud Round three, Thursday.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Prof, what "roud" means?

Mike Pena said...

Hahahaha Anna, keen observation. I didn't even catch that the first time.

Anna said...

Mike, I look closely at language and words. I actually try... to read! It is the only tool I have to improve my English.
Thanks for the "keen". I like this word. I really appreciate that you used it (for me).