Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What's your name again?

Today I came to class short of breath and no patience. I was running around since 9 a.m. taking my boyfriends roommate, Tommy, to the Naples Urgent Care because he didn’t feel well. After sitting in a germ infested room with about 15 other patients for 3 hours we finally left. On my way to class I dropped off his prescriptions and planned on picking them up after our class.

After attending class in my PJ’s, I rushed back to Publix to get the prescriptions. I told the lady behind the counter Tommy's name. She couldn’t find it; His last name is italian and I wasn't about to attempt the spelling. Then she came across it. Only instead of it saying “Tommy” it said “Tammy.”

How bizarre.

Don’t get me wrong. I do understand that doctor’s handwritings aren’t the greatest. BUT if you are a pharmacist and you are filling a prescription for a particular individual I would assume you would know the difference between “Tommy” and “Tammy.”

I get it that people make mistakes but this could be a huge mistake for someone who isn’t supposed to make mistakes. Yeah, no one is perfect but pharmacists are supposed to go over things again and again to make sure there aren’t any mistakes. I guess I should be thankful it wasn’t a life threatening mistake.

After all, my grandmother still writes “Mitchelle” on my birthday cards instead of “Michelle.” And I can’t tell you how many times people have called me “Michael.”

2 comments:

Anna said...

Very well done, Michelle/ Mitchelle. Smile! You made a great post, tackling an important point in every-day life. I feel sorry to say what I am going to say, but yours urges me to say it. In America, I don't trust doctors. I trust even less the people working behind a pharmacy's counter.
For both, pharmacists and doctors theirs is only a biz, another way to make money.

eugenia said...

Michelle, can you imagine the different variations I have heard with a name like Eugenia? Haha!