Sunday, February 24, 2008

Cell phone leads to Ticket

Okay. So, yesterday I had a small run in with the campus police. I was just minding my own business on my way to the gym, when those flashy lights pulled up behind me. I thought, “Oh, great. Just what I need,” (okay there were some curse words too, but I’ll leave those out). Okay. Fine. The officer was justified in pulling me over; I had not come to a complete stop at the stop sign. I wasn’t mad at the police officer, I was mad at myself. I mean, I saw the cop car, but I was too busy talking on my cell phone to process the information: That is an officer of the law; you should probably be coming to a complete stop here. Anyhow, it got me thinking about how many similar situations and accidents are caused because of cell phones. I try not to text and drive, but I do know a lot of people who think they’ve got this skill “mastered.” I wonder how much more dangerous the roads have become since the invention of the cell-phone, and the now popular text messaging?

3 comments:

Anna said...

Yes, cell phones are dangerous. Sorry for the ticket!I took a ticket too once that I was driving on campus. This police doesn't kid. So watch out. They are pitiless!!!!

Meagan Mason said...

I must admit that texting has become an addiction, especially since I got an iPhone. DONT even pull that thing out while in the car! It is way too distracting! Many of my friends have texting and driving "mastered" and for that reason, I don't ride with them. Driving has become more dangerous and I am scared to see how it will escalate in the years to come.

Monica DiDonato said...

The police are apparently patrolling the parking garages for speeders now. The speed limit in there is 5 mph. I don't know how its possible to go down the ramp at 5 mph, but they expect you to. Watch out, because I already know two people with tickets.