Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The Yellow Wallpaper

Reading: what amazing activity! In every story, there is a secret world that unravels itself line after line. For the reader, it is always a special journey. I enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing (well, more or less) and it is difficult to me to admit that I did not get the story or its purpose. It is true that I have a hard time with short stories: they are always a challenge, probably because I am convinced I am not good at writing them. As a reader who reads with the eyes of a writer (or tries to do so), I am concerned with language and style, and symbols, and images. I use “to get it” (the story), but about this in particular, something fled from my hands, my pencil, and my notes. Here, I need help. I need somebody who takes my hand to show me where I failed, if it ever would be a failure of mine. I recognize The Yellow Wallpaper is a complex crafted prose. It is not only difficult to understand but also to write that particular way. Yet, I am not happy with this reading. I should give the story and myself a second try.

No comments: