Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Wallpaper Yellow The

One thing that I thought was interesting about reading “The Yellow Wallpaper” backwards was that it did feel like I was reading numerous blog entries. To watch the main character go from crazy at the beginning to ill at the end made the story have more of an impact to me. I kept thinking to myself, “I cannot wait to see how she used to act in the beginning of this story compared to how she is acting now.” I noticed that at the start of the blog entries the word “creep” in different forms was used a few times. Then as I started reading backwards the word started to almost disappear from the text. This reminded me that she used the word a lot more when she was crazy. Another good thing about reading the story like a bunch of blog entries backwards was the part in which the main character starts talking about how she used to write. It made me feel so sorry for her. At the end (or I suppose the beginning of the text) it becomes apparent that she went crazy because she was locked up in a room. Only because her husband thought she was ill because she was writing and having her own voice. I haven’t read this story since my freshman year but I enjoyed reading it a second time. I especially enjoyed reading it backwards.

No comments: