Monday, January 21, 2008

A Voice of My Own

I was really struggling with my new blog. Primarily, I was feeling stressed over this little voice in my mind that kept repeating, “Well what are you going to write about? How are you going to say what has already been said- yet still make it sound fresh? And how can you produce something that people want to read about?” These thoughts just kept cycling through my head, making me feel increasingly nauseas at the thought of writing my first post. Reading chapter four helped me to realize that I don’t need to be putting all of this pressure on myself. Paraphrasing here, Blood said that even if you are writing about something that has been written about hundreds of times before, if you are writing about it everyday, it is going to be impossible for your voice not to come out in that writing. Reading this chapter helped me come to the realization that yes, this is my blog, and I can write from my perspective, because hey- this is me talking. And who cares if everyone doesn't love what I have to say, or even how I say it. That’s just too bad for them. Because if in the end there is one thing that I took away from this chapter it is this: blogs are a medium for an individual to discuss issues that are important to them, and to craft that discussion in a way that is meaningful for the individual, not for the entirety of internet society.

No comments: