Monday, January 21, 2008

My Rules for Writing

These are rules I wrote for my advanced fiction course. My criteria are not new to everybody in this blogging class because some is taking the same fiction course I am taking.

Albeit to write fiction is different than to compose journalism and blogs, as my dear professor Allen says "good writing is good writing" don't matter what its aim or purpose is.

I share with you some of my rules:

1. Write more than talking about writing.
2. Read, read, read, and read! Read as much as you can. And if you don’t read, then you write. Why? A writer has two means to better her writing: reading and writing. It is all!
3. Have the courage of your own words.
4. When it is time, kill quickly your “darlings.”
5. There is no such a thing as the “perfect writer.” Every writer needs an editor. If you don’t believe me, you are wrong!
6. Don’t watch TV; it burns your creativity.
7. Tell the truth. Never feign what is not.
8. Don't do drugs. Don't think that under influence you will be a better writer or you will find your inspiration. All this is only a cliche'.

To be honest, I don't believe much in rules, but sometimes they can help to focus on crucial points. When a writer establishes her own rules, it may mean two things: the writer is conscious of what she is doing - which awareness is always great, or the writer is ready to forward her writing and accept constructive critics.

Do you follow me?

1 comment:

Todd Bursztyn said...

I heartily agree with your first rule: "write more than talking about writing." This is too true and unfortunately too often overlooked as a valuable rule for writing and improving your writing. Yet here we are, talking (in the blogging sense) about writing...