Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Blogging Fable

A college student decided to take a blogging class in order to hone her writing skills and to become a little more tech savvy. Plus, she thought it looked rather interesting. "What the heck," she said "I might as well try my hand at it." So she went to the classes and gave it her best. She wracked her brain for a blog topic, and tried to make every post as meaningful and eloquent as possible, even when the professor asked the class to flashblog without using any adverbs or forms of the verb "to be." Yet, something wasn’t quite right. "I feel like I’m missing something," she scratched her head and said, "something really important." So she read through the chapters again, thought over her blog idea for the umpteenth time, and reread the syllabus, but the thing that was missing was not in any of those places. She went to the next class more than a little dejected. "How am I ever going to be a good blogger if I can’t figure out what I’m not getting?" When people shared their blog ideas, she listened very hard, hoping for her eureka, and she eagerly took in the presentation on news feeds, again hoping that the key was there. But it was all in vain. Sadly she returned to her dorm room, sat down at the computer, and accessed the week’s reading assignments. "Aesop In the City," she read with a sigh, " I bet this is going to be profound and memorable and something that will make me think. Everything that my blogging isn’t." And with that, she started to read. After a bit, she started to laugh. It was all those things she expected it to be, just not in the way she had expected. Then she got it. "AHA!" she yelped, "I’ve been so wrapped up in trying to be profound and moving that I’ve forgotten to have fun with my writing!"
Moral: All work and no (word)play makes Jack a dull blogger.

2 comments:

Todd Bursztyn said...

Oh yes. Wordplay is almost so much fun you can get lost in the humor of it all. The joy of the blog (and Harrison's "blogademic" concept") is that it caters to skilled and intelligent writers that have more to say and more ways to say it than the average Joe. And with the infinitude of topics it almost doesn't matter what you're talking about but how you decide to go about it, which is the real fun in both reading and writing the personal weblog.

R.C. Price said...

Thank goodness someone else is writing something not so serious. I was beginning to lose my mind blogging all the time on serious things and reading MORE serious things from other people! Thanks for breaking the monotony and reminding me why we are in this class. The joy of writing reemerges.