Saturday, April 5, 2008

is the american dream a reality?

I am looking at one more year of college. One more year before I have to become a real adult. As the prices of daily expenses rise, I wonder if I will be able to attain the so-called American dream. Am I going to be able to attain a life style I expect with today's economy? Two car garage, white picket fence, stable job market. These are all thoughts that have been swimming around my head lately, and during a trip around Estero I took a photo that really made me think. It was a white picket fence that guarded a rusted barn and run down house.

Is the American dream one that has long since been abandoned?

A passerby informed me that the woman who owned the property kept it in amazing condition before she died two years ago. It was a quaint little place that she kept spruced up with gorgeous landscaping. Since she passed away, the city has paid off her son for the land so that they can flatten it and build a shopping plaza.

Maybe this is the new version of the dream.

1 comment:

Subversive Me said...

I think the american dream is whatever you want it to be. though sometimes what we think we want isn't what we really need to be happy. and is another shopping plaza what this town really needs?