Friday, April 4, 2008

Remembering MLK

At this moment, I sit at my computer desk crying. Crying because I am thinking about what today, April 4th represents to many. If you don't know, it represents the 40th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s death.

Before I started writing this post, I took a look back into MLK's life and what he wanted Americans to embrace. It is hard to believe that 40 years ago a man fought for change and most of what he dreamt about came true. Americans are beginning to treat each other equally and embrace change and some Americans are still living in the past.

Below is the last speech he gave before being assassinated




Again I start to cry because MLK is part of the reason I am able to sit in a cultural classroom with fear for my life, I am able to have multicultural sister, and I have the freedom to be viewed as equal among my fellow peers.

After viewing other videos, I wondered if change would have come if Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. did not fight for equality. I also wonder what would have happened if he was able to live his full life. Would things still have panned out the way they did? I can only wonder because I believe nobody will ever know. One thing I know for sure is that MLK will live on and he will always be a part of me. If you don't know much about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. or you would like to reeducate yourself, please visit the 40th anniversary page presented by Yahoo!.

1 comment:

Subversive Me said...

Thanx for posting this Rita. It was on the news this morning, but not a soul on campus has said a word about it. Appreciate the video a lot.