Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Braindead Megaphone on Wheels

Taking advantage of today’s class cancellation, I decided to run some errands and ended up at the bank around 1:30. Pulling in to the bank in front of me was a nice white pick up truck, with the following political “advertisement” scrawled across the back windshield in bright red lettering:

Obama “Racist” Hussein. Wake Up America! Anti-God, Anti-America, Lying Muslim. God Bless America.

Holy shit. Pardon my French, but that’s the last thing I expected to see today. It made me think of this class. Say what you will about people who choose to create blogs and spew ad hominem, fear mongering crap like that online, but at least there’s a chance for readers to express their disgust. I was trapped in my own car, with no recourse but to hope the driver caught my evil eye staring back at him from the rearview mirror.

There will always be millions of people out there who take up the megaphone and say the things that distract from what’s really at stake. At least if the guy’s window had read, “Obama wants to cut-and-run, vote McCain,” I could have felt slightly less cynical about American democracy on the drive home.

The whole thing makes me especially glad that on our individual blogs we all set the bar far above this kindergarten-insult level of “discourse.”

2 comments:

eugenia said...

That blunt of a message on someone's car? Jeeze, I wouldn't be surprised if someone keyed it, hahaha.

Subversive Me said...

That's not even discourse. At least with a blog I can click a button and make it go away. Wish i were a cop. I'd pull him over just cause.