Monday, March 17, 2008

Group Work Rant

I am sure I'm not alone in loathing group work. Many of you probably feel the same way pretty often. I should note that I have had several really kick-ass group presentations as an FGCU student. Why do the memory of those never make up for it when I'm in the middle of a group work nightmare?

It's 9 pm on Monday night. Tomorrow, for my 9:30 am Journalism class, I'm supposed to have edited and critiqued the articles of three classmates. The first problem: only one of my three randomly selected classmates has e-mailed me a story.

So now, here I sit, without work to critique. I had to e-mail the professor an hour ago to ask for an extension. I literally do not remember the last time I had to do that. And it's all because my work in this particular assignment rests upon the ability of my classmates to respond to an e-mail and attach a file.

Please everyone, share your own group work horror stories in the comments section so I don't feel so alone!

4 comments:

TNLogan said...

Oh, I understand completely! Luckily, I have had really great groups this year, but I still loathe group work in general. It is so hard to find time (outside the class you all have together) for 3+ schedules to mesh. Take 3 different people with 3 different class schedules and 3 different job schedules and find a time when you can all meet. What?! Group work is the bane of my existence.

Anna said...

I don't think you should feel bad about your situation because it is not your fault at all. What should you do? Beg your classmates to do what they supposed to so. You may want to talk about the articles you have. I know it may be a nightmare and I know you want to get things done in a certain way (the A-student way), but you should sleep well tonight.

Is your professor, prof Allen?

Probably I have been lucky, but I didn't have bad experience with my groups. Somehow, we helped each other and we understood each other need and duty.

GOOD LUCK!

Rachel S said...

I too hate groupwork. I hate the very idea that my grade depends upon the work of someone other than myself. I know it's some sort of life skill to "learn how to work in groups." But I generally feel that whenever I'm in a group that the other individuals don't take the assignment as seriously as I do. I know this may or may not be the case, but I'm obsessed with maintaining my "A" average, and I don't want someone else messing it up for me. Ouch. That was harsh.

Christine M said...

I agree, as a practice of real-world skills, it seems supremely flawed. In a situation where you were working in a group at a full-time job, you wouldn't have to work around class schedules, etc. to get things done. You'd work at work, maybe work late a few times, and it would be done.