Monday, February 11, 2008

Write for You

I’m in an advanced fiction writing class with a few of you. I have to turn in my 10-page short story tomorrow and I’m nervous. After reading a handful of ones turned in before mine I realized that I was very critical in critiquing them. I wish I wasn’t. Now I’m nervous that I’m going to get torn apart. But isn’t getting torn apart going to make me a better writer? Or is it going to make me bitter?

Even writing on this blog makes me cringe. I mostly write about the readings because either half of the class didn’t read what was assigned and won’t read my post or the other half really doesn’t have much to say about the readings.

Writing about something personal is a lot harder than I expected it to be. This short story is my own creation. I worked really hard on the story and I hope people will enjoy it and not be too hard on me.

But if they are then why should I care? I should take the comments that they say and try to make myself a better writer. I shouldn’t take offense to what other people say if it disagrees with my opinions. I shouldn’t take it personal.

Therefore:

“Keep in mind that the person to write for is yourself. Tell the story that you most desperately want to read.”- Susan Isaacs

3 comments:

R.C. Price said...

Having had my paper torn to shreds last week... I understand. But all the advice I got while difficult to hear was helpful. Truly. People pick up on things you don't. Think of us as your editors because let's face it, when you are a writer someday, (and you will be) you'll be having discussions just like what you will go through tomorrow.

Subversive Me said...

I've taken advanced fiction and it can be a nerve wracking experience to put your stuff out there. I too dreaded the critique part of things. I thought my work would be ripped to shreds by the people I’d critiqued earlier. I wasn’t petty or mean spirited in my critiques but I did want to be as sincere and helpful as I could. Some people will like your story, some people won’t but hopefully all can be honest in their critiques without being spiteful. Don’t know who you have this semester, but what helped in my class was the professor made the writer being critiqued sit without speaking while everyone took turns talking about their story. We had to listen without defending against every little comment being made. That was so hard to do! Once the critiques were done only then could we respond. All in all the process was helpful and some critiques did help my story. Good luck!

Babz said...

This is my week, how do you think I feel? I am going to just take it all in, as well and hopefully become a better writer. It is good to just remember that none of us are perfect nor will we ever be, that we are in these classes to learn something.