Thursday, February 28, 2008

Idea of Health

Remember the good old days when you got sick and if it took you a week to recover you weren't screwed? It probably hasn't happened since Junior High. You got to sleep, take copious amounts of medication, and not worry about the homework accumulating because the teachers would excuse what they could and give you a week to make up the rest. Usually, this got you out of quite a few boring P.E. periods.

Now, I don't get sick often, but when I do, watch out! It never fails to be a doozy. The worst part for me is knowing I have to come and give presentations and turn in reports, all the while, infecting poor innocent people right before Spring Break. (I hope I don't get lynched.)

I admit all of this seems bad. Or at least it used to. Now, my life has been put into perspective a bit. My uncle who has cancer lives with us. And all it takes to have him hospitalized is for him to get a cold from one of us. We have flat out been told if he catches the flu it'll probably kill him. If that doesn't make you appreciate the fact the bug you have could be worse, nothing will. So, next time I am sick and I have to go to class throughout it all. I am just going to be grateful I'm not stuck in a hospital bed waiting to die. Alternatives make our lives seem so much better, don't you think?

1 comment:

eugenia said...

This just goes to show that you can't assume your life is so hard. Someone has it so much worse.

And... I would always be up for implementing the middle school rule of having the amount of days you missed plus one to make up your work.