Thursday, February 21, 2008

An Interesting Read

A case of writers block on Tuesday found me sitting on the floor in front of my bookshelf trying to straighten the darn thing. Even thinking optimistically, it was an impossible task, as the bookshelf is much too small for my massive collection of books.

Sorting through the tall stacks of texts in search of the bookshelf, I found several brand-spanking-new tomes that I had received for Christmas: never been opened, still with that crisp, new book smell.

As I perused them, flipping through the stiff new pages, I wondered momentarily why I hadn’t cracked them open yet. I’m a bit psycho about always having new reading material around, and I’m usually in the middle of two or three books at any given time.

So why did these oh-so-tempting books remain unread?

The answer is that I’ve got plenty of interesting reading right at my fingertips. I find myself clicking through the class blogs when I have free time rather than settling down with a novel of my own. And oh, the variety! I’m not stuck with the nine-hundred plus pages of Dickens or Clavell, I can look at whatever I feel like: entertainment news, music, fashion, sports, even crafts. Now if I could just get better at commenting on all of them!

Bravo to you all for the fine work! Thank you all for being so engaging and interesting that I’ve forgotten to miss my books.

1 comment:

Subversive Me said...

I'm obiviously more psycho that you Katie. I read the blogs (good stuff), textbooks (snoozer for the most part) and I still have a tiny bit of time (10 minutes right before I fall asleep at night) to read for fun.