Thursday, January 24, 2008

Transitive Vampire More of a Giver

Although even cracking the spine of an ominously shaded grammar book titled "The Deluxe Transitive Vampire" scares me half to death, I've found that the black cats and gargoyles offer more than just brain-numbing grammatical information. Flipping through the pages doesn't only suck the joy from the moment and the minutes from my day, it also provides a host of obscure words for this cryptic logophile. The words and mythical allusions aren't just good, they're also catchy in the sense that I find myself looking them up and then turning them over in my head until I figure how to employ them in my own creative endeavors. The Vampire is also useful for brushing up on your Greek, with words like xenophobia, deus ex machina, omphalos, and Lamia (the vampiric daughter of Poseidon). Other mythological bits are peppered throughout, like the Gordian knot and various woodnymphs. Aside from the sometimes refreshingly and sometimes maddeningly nonsensical sentences (i.e To nuzzle flagpoles is her secret desire), the book is rich with esoteric allusions worth investigating. Check it out, y'all.

No comments: