Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Kenneth Cole Infiltrates Campus

Was anyone else accosted by a pushy fashionista on Tuesday? Twice, as I rounded the corner between Howard and Griffin Hall, I managed to fall victim to a Kenneth Cole representative's desperate promotions and annoyingly scripted hook: "hey guys, I'm from Kenneth Cole and we're putting on an event for you guys!"

The perpetrator, armed to the teeth with long leather boots, those insectoid sunglasses that every female insists upon wearing, and a gaudy display of handbags, occupied a space normally reserved for student organizations and fundraising efforts.

Who let them on campus? Apparently the only university mandate was that they euphemize "shameless unaffiliated advertising" as "event promotion," but the end result was still annoyingly commercial and misaligned with FGCU's modus operandi. I hope this doesn't signal a slow decline of civic and academic integrity here on campus, although I could use some new boots...

2 comments:

Michelle F said...

I saw them when I was walking to our class today. I looked the other way. Next thing you know we'll have a strip mall on the lawn right there. Seriously, they had a rack of clothing to sell. There is no safe place from soliciting I guess.

Christine M said...

I love that Todd used the word "fashionista." Priceless.