Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A New Punct In Town

Earlier today I was writing a professor to thank him for assisting me on a project. As I was writing, I came across a dilemma. Should I end the sentence with a period or an exclamation? If I said “Thanks.” it might sound as if I didn't really care, and if I wrote “Thanks!” it might sound as if I was a bit too excited for the tiny favor. This is not the first time I've had this problem, and I've decided to finally do something about it!

I've created the periation. Thats right, the periation. We've got the liger, we've got the grappel , and now, the periation! The periation will be a cross between a period and an exclamation point. It will be a dot, like a period, but raised halfway to encompass the exclamation's expression.

I believe that the invention of the periation will be a great breakthrough for everyone. No longer will you have to sound overzealous when writing your boss to thank him for the new cubicle, and no longer will you have to sound apathetic when writing your mother-in-law to thank her for the sweater she bought you for Christmas (because clearly here, you wouldn't be able to use the exclamation.) The periation truly is revolutionary.

Now, all thats left is to contact the computer companies and request that they add this sweet little dot to keyboards across America.

4 comments:

Dr. Harrison said...

Clever. And/but how would you render this revolution in punctuation on the screen?

Katie said...

Love it!
Even though periation sounds like something you don't want your doctor telling you that you have. (:

Mike Pena said...

Very clever Monica. I'm going to be dropping periations all over the place.

eugenia said...

This is hysterical.

I love this idea.