Friday, February 22, 2008

Thursday's workshop blogs

Up first, Barbara. The writing is natural and self-assured here, so much so that I left wishing for more trenchant insights ... for MORE, period. You all agreed the Busch Gardens post was effective (save for the "Bush" problem). I agreee, but not only because puke stories can be entertaining. Additionally, this post creatively used personal experience to ask a really interesting question about when pleasures (in this case, drinking and thrill seeking) collide. I hope we can look forward to more in this line.

Brandon joins the busy world of game blogs, focusing on a more theoretical or abstract engagement with the conceptual dimension of games. I wish the posts weren't so often jumpers, but the level of engagement here ranges from impressive to heroic.

Heather seems to be on the right track pushing into the depths of lyrics and song styles without losing a sense of whimsicality.

Rachel likes to live on the edge, and clearly knows how to sharpen the point. Meanwhile, Anna seems to be interested in the "as others see you" angle of multicultural American life. Some of the generalizations puzzle me (for instance, where all these Americans obsessed with grammar and why don't they sign up for my courses?). But we could all do with more reminders that assumptions about the other can be tricky and fraught.

Finally the Craft Punk. Whoever said reading this blog is like being able to craft vicariously was exactly right. I have no desire to ever make my own head, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading the Craft Punk's account of said project. I don’t ever want to craft but I know now why someone else might. Oh dearie me, indeed.

No comments: