Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Prepositions

I am currently ensconced deep in the pages of the transitive vampire and I thought I’d blog about what I learn. Today’s topic: prepositions. Now, whether the rule of thumb remains, ‘never end a sentence with a preposition,’ I don’t know. This book says yes; the last book I read on writing said that rule was old and to be disregarded. I suppose that makes it up to our very own professor. Either way, you need to know what they are. The Deluxe Transitive Vampire says their function is to, ahem: “indicate the relation of a noun or pronoun to some other words in the sentence.” Hasn’t knowing this made your day? I know I feel more educated. My apologies to the masses who already were in the know. Be patient; I’m getting there!

Example by your truly:
I ran through the flowerbed, outside the house, around the garden, into the shed, out the door, in the yard, under the gate, over the ditch, through the field, onto the road, past the cemetery, toward town, down a hill, to the school, with a friend, for fun.

Oh yeah, prepositional phrases are separated by a comma. Happy Hunting!

No comments: