Sunday, January 27, 2008

Oooh, Pretty Sentence…

I’ll admit it: I am sometimes a bad English major. When I sit down to read a novel or short story for a class, often it’s not the allusions or symbolism that drive me to deface my books and underline words; it’s beautiful sentences. When an author writes something poetic, something that really gets to the heart of life, it is sometimes enough to make me stop reading, re-read said sentence, and just feel jealous for a few moments that F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past,” and I did not. A great sentence, for me, is like a shiny object. It steals my attention away from what I’m meant to focus on and puts a smile on my face. I wouldn’t want it any other way.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Nice post. I feel the same way and the lin eyou mentioned is very powerful.

Michelle F said...

There should be a book published with famous sentences that make every reader grow with envy at the sight of beautiful imagery and structure within a well-written sentence.

Michelle F said...
This comment has been removed by the author.