Sunday, January 27, 2008

I let the Fox eat my Goat

I’ve been finding it to be a bit difficult to find blogs, websites, etc. for my blog. Given this situation, I become extremely excited when I do find a source that seems both credible and unique. Recently, I thought I found an awesome source, “Site A.” I had begun brainstorming some ideas for different posts, often referencing this particular site. Then, I noticed that the site I was referencing seemed to be relying quite heavily on another source. We’ll call it “Site B.” I didn’t think much of it at first, but then I came across an issue that I felt I needed more background on; so I Googled it. In this particular post on “Site A,” “Site B” was directly quoted. After reading up on the topic from various newspapers I came to a grim realization: the site I had been relying on was getting a great deal of its information from a source that was not only biased, but seemed to be misconstruing the data to fit its agenda. I immediately felt frustrated; I had written several posts for the upcoming week, only to realize that they were now worthless. I could’ve easily avoided losing my precious time and written work, if I had simply taken ten minutes to check out “Site B.” Instead, I let my excitement at finding what I thought was a great source; overtake the reality of the situation. It’s like Yoni Brenner says in The Fox and The Goat, “Always check the website.”

2 comments:

Marguerita said...

I am sorry to hear that you spend all your time finding the information. I do have a question though, does "Site B" seem credible? Are they linking to credible sources? If yes, although it seems they are bias, I believe you can take that information and find other sources that contradict what the site is saying. From there you can write an entry about the source being bias and that the following site can prove different. I feel you did not waste your time, you found great information and you have learned something new about finding sources for your blog.

Rachel S said...

I feel silly admitting this, but it didn't occur to me that I could post on the site's uncredibility! Thanks for the idea!