Monday, January 28, 2008

Does this sound right?

I have always felt fortunate in my ability to write well without truly understanding what constitutes good grammar. Sure, I've got the basics down, but even some of the simpler rules are hazy to me. I can follow nouns, verbs, adverbs and adjectives around (well, sort of; it's actually quite embarassing how limited my understanding is) but throw a gerund or past perfect participle into the mix and I will soon be lost. And in a full panic. Diagramming sentences? No thank you! I am not sure how it happened, but I have managed to receive absolutely no instruction in grammar since my freshman year of high school. That was about nine years ago and I didn't even understand it then. Yikes, am I in trouble or what?!

It is about time for me to stop getting by on simply knowing what sounds right and start learning why it is right. Hopefully It is my hope that this writing intensive course and the infinitely amusing "Deluxe Transitive Vampire" will jump-start my learning process. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Right?

1 comment:

eugenia said...

I know exactly what you mean! When we did our flashblogs without using adverbs, I came to realize that adverbs are one of the few pieces of grammar that I am familiar with! I blame it on the Florida school system?